In this episode, Dr. Peter Dalmaris and Marcus Schappi talk with Mark Roper.
Mark Roper is a strategic thinker, entrepreneur, and lecturer who enjoys working at the leading edge, envisioning solutions to real-world problems and taking action to make these solutions a reality.
Mark is a co-founder of Royalti Blockchain Group Pty Ltd, an Australian-based blockchain training and consulting company. In that capacity, we invited Mark to have a discussion with us, in which we explore the Blockchain and the ways by which it promises to change the world.
Stemiverse podcast is brought to you by Tech Explorations, a leading provider of educational resources for Makers, STEM students, and teachers. Go to techexplorations.com to see a complete list of our books and courses covering the Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and electronics.
- [00:00] Introduction – Introducing Mark Roper
- [01:23] Peter and Marcus discuss secret projects, solar panels, and cryptocurrencies
- [03:16] Mark Roper introduces himself and the Royalti Blockchain Group
- [04:10] New tech entrepreneurship and developing a cryptocurrency mining organization – Initial Coin Offering (ICO)
- [06:29] What determines the value of a cryptocurrency? Supply – Demand – Market Confidence
- [08:27] Quantifiability vs. speculation and usability vs. Hype
- [09:35] How are things changing currently in regards to cryptocurrency value?
- [10:44] Why do we need cryptocurrencies? We need an economy based on value rather than debt
- [13:39] Issues of the financial system that cryptocurrencies are being designed to solve
- [14:43] Cryptocurrencies have (digital) asset value and are taxable based on capital gains
- [20:14] Technological innovations will reduce energy consumption for mining
- [21:11] How can cryptocurrencies help to address issues in developing countries?
- [24:48] Transparency and accountability
- [25:19] Government applications of the blockchain: the Republic of Georgia uses Exonum, a product from the Bitfury Group for their land registry
- [28:03] Smart contracts and how they will change our lives ten years into the future
- [37:28] Applications of the blockchain in Education: Degree awarding and certifications
- [39:11] Other areas that will forever be affected by the blockchain: Medical records (e.g. My Health Record, by the Australian Department of Health) – Records on the blockchain are tamper-proof and cannot be hacked
- [42:26] Security token offerings (STOs)
- [49:13] Rapid Fire Questions
- [56:20] Mark’s Contact Information: Linkedin, Facebook
- Other resources: Rachael Jones interviews Mark Roper for the Finance News Network (video included)