In this episode, Dr. Peter Dalmaris talks with Ranveig Strøm.
Ranveig joined the Knowledge Transfer group of CERN (the European Organization for Nuclear Research) as an administrative student in February 2017, working in marketing and communication.
Since February 2018 she is responsible for CERN’s entrepreneurship activities.
Ranveig works to foster a culture of entrepreneurship at the Laboratory and to assist CERN personnel wanting to create companies.
With a strong interest in technology management and new business development, she has completed an MSc from the NTNU School of Entrepreneurship in Norway, for which she wrote her thesis while at CERN.
Ranveig has also completed courses at UC Berkeley, doing a deep dive into the Silicon Valley start-up scene, while also being a business development intern for a start-up in San Francisco.
In the past, Ranveig has been involved in several start-ups, giving her hands-on experience in business development, as well as holding positions in various entrepreneurship oriented organizations.
Specifically, she has worked as an entrepreneurial supervisor for students with business ideas, as project manager for a handful of EIT Climate-KIC programs and also as a board member of Start Norway.
This is Stemiverse Podcast episode 62.
Stemiverse podcast is brought to you by Tech Explorations, a leading provider of educational resources for Makers, STEM students, and teachers. Go to techexplorations.com to see a complete list of our books and courses covering the Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and electronics.
- [0:00:00] Introduction – Introducing Ranveig Strøm, Entrepreneurship Development Officer at CERN Knowledge Transfer Group
- [0:04:15] Ranveig talks about her background in enterpreneurship and her current work helping startups at CERN
- [0:09:39] The multiple skills of an entrepreneur
- [0:13:09] Ranveig describes her experience doing a Master’s program in technology within entrepreneurship at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU
- [0:17:33] Ranveig discusses the summer course she took at the University of California, Berkeley
- [0:22:15] CERN Knowledge Transfer Group
- [0:29:49] Ranveig’s role within CERN
- [0:35:02] Training opportunities with the Knowledge Transfer Group – CERN Entrepreneurship Student Programme (CESP)
- [0:44:38] Should entrepreneurship be more highlighted within STEM education?
- [0:48:17] How can teachers and parents help children develop entrepreneurial spirit?
- [0:55:36] Ranveig’s influences
- [0:57:33] Ranveig’s reading recommendations: The Lean Startup methodology, the Business Model Canvas, the Value Proposition Canvas
- [1:00:35] Parting thoughts, do’s and don’ts
- [1:03:36] Ranveig’s contact information: Twitter, LinkedIn