The Tech Explorations Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Arduino Fun: Make a High-Tech Remote Controlled Car discussion forum Why pass ground wire through the switches?

Tagged: ,

• John Fiott

June 7, 2019 at 7:37 am

Hi,

Can I ask why you chose to pass the ground wires through the switches for both the Arduino and Motor Controller as opposed to the live wire please?  I know its only 12 Volts but I would have imagined it is always safer to pass the live wire through the switch to be sure of isolating current. Not a major issue but a bit confusing.

Thanks.

John

• Peter Dalmaris

Administrator
    June 7, 2019 at 11:59 am

Hi John,

in this case, I’d say “convenience”. Since this is a DC circuit, I don’t believe that there is any difference in terms of functionality (I may need to do research here to back this up). Whether you close the circuit at the “ground” end (i.e. this is not a real ground level), or the “live” end, the result is the same.

For DC circuits, it’s probably better to talk about “positive” and “negative” ends of the battery, since the voltage levels are relative. The current is what makes work possible, and current flows the same way around the circuit. If you interrupt the flow, the work stops.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
>