In this episode, Peter Dalmaris talks with John Lee Dumas.
The full video for this interview is available, please check it out.
John Lee Dumas (or “JLD” as people call him) is the host of Entrepreneurs on Fire, an award-winning podcast where he interviews the world’s most successful Entrepreneurs. Past guests include Tony Robbins, Barbara Corcoran, Gary Vaynerchuk and thousands more. With over 2000 episodes, 70 million downloads and 1 million monthly listens, JLD has built a media empire with a massive fan base aptly called ‘Fire Nation.’
In my discussion with JLD, I asked him about his self-education journey. From his “aha” moment, when he decided to create Entrepreneurs on Fire, to building it and growing it.
JLD’s story is similar among self-made successful entrepreneurs: After a struggle, he came up with an idea for a media product and service that fills a need in people’s lives. He then realized that he did not have the skills and knowledge to pull this off, so he started to teach himself. He learned from books, from videos, but that wasn’t enough.
Self-education is the key, but there is nothing like learning from the best, and that’s what John Lee did. He accelerated his education with the help of mentors and applied his learnings on the job.
Much like project-based learning, don’t you think?
Seven years later, 1 million people every month listen to his podcast.
This is Tech Explorations Podcast episode 8.
The Tech Explorations Podcast is a podcast produced by Tech Explorations, a leading provider of educational resources for Makers, STEM students, and teachers. Go to techexplorations.com to see a complete list of our books and courses covering the Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and electronics.
- [0:00:00] Introducing John Lee Dumas
- [0:02:11] JLD introduces himself and his podcast Entrepreneurs on Fire
- [0:03:56] JLD and Peter Dalmaris discuss their “aha” moments
- [0:06:44] How John Lee Dumas used self-education and mentoring from experts to overcome challenges and become a successful entrepreneur/podcaster
- [0:09:06] JLD describes his struggles and challenges during the first days of launching his podcast Entrepreneurs on Fire
- [0:13:14] Project-based learning and the importance of the “why”
- [0:15:25] John’s advice to our listeners