In this episode, Dr. Peter Dalmaris and Marcus Schappi talk with Viv White.
Viv is the founder of an innovative new design for learning and schools.
Viv taught primary and secondary education for 13 years, worked in tertiary research for five years as a research fellow at Macquarie University and Victoria University, and served as an adjunct professor at the University of Western Sydney.
She is the co-founder, managing director and company secretary of Big Picture Education Australia. The work that Viv does in Big Picture Education is the main topic of our discussion in this episode.
Viv has taken the lead in establishing Big Picture Learning International (BPLI), a venture that will influence governments and educational institutions and launch more schools for disadvantaged and disengaged youth.
This is Stemiverse podcast episode 24.
Stemiverse podcast is brought to you by Tech Explorations, a leading provider of educational resources for Makers, STEM students, and teachers. Go to techexplorations.com to see a complete list of our books and courses covering the Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and electronics.
- [00:00] Introduction – Introducing Viv White
- [01:35] Viv talks about her background and what lead her to Big Picture Education
- [05:05] Who are the disadvantaged kids in schools?
- [06:13] Immigrant groups
- [06:50] Which aspects of school in the past were problematic for disadvantaged children?
- [08:20] Reforming standardized education into something else
- [10:27] An out of date delivery system for learning
- [10:52] What a modern society needs from its educational system
- [12:05] The solution is to personalise learning
- [12:20] Start with student interest
- [17:02] The meaning of “Do Well” and the example of the New Harmony High School in New Orleans
- [19:20] How does the Big Picture program work?
- [21:37] Description of the pathway from a Big Picture school to University
- [24:54] How assessment at scale works with so much personal customization
- [26:09] How long does it take to mark or assess a student’s portfolio
- [26:49] Is Big Picture suitable for every student?
- [28:07] The long-term aims of Big Picture
- [31:02] What is the process to convert a traditional school into a Big Picture school and do you need a school to participate in Big Picture Education?
- [35:47] What are the major role blocks Big Picture had to face?
- [37:12] The Big Picture Learning International Network
- [38:06] How did Big Picture expand into many countries?
- [38:32] Big Picture Education in China
- [40:20] The Big Picture Starter Pack
- [41:15] How can a mentor volunteer to Big Picture?
- [42:08] How students find their mentors: The informational interview – The Shadow Day
- [45:30] What does success look like after retirement?
- [47:28] Contact Information: Big Picture Education Website Info & Contact, Viv’s Email: [email protected]