In this episode, Dr. Peter Dalmaris and Marcus Schappi talk with Kieran Nolan.
This episode is special because while it might not seem that it’s about education, it actually is! In this discussion, Kieran takes us for a ride in the world of networks, block chains, total online transparency, and 10-year-old students create their own cryptocurrencies. Stay with us, it will be worth it!
Kieran Nolan is a qualified Network Engineer, certified Cloud Migration Architect, and Educational Technologist, with certifications from Google, Microsoft and Cisco and a Degree in Network Engineering.
He has 10+ years of experience working in schools from K-12. Under Kieran’s leadership, Wooranna Park Primary School (WPPS) has established itself as an exemplar in introducing the digital world to students.
The school has led the way in establishing a “24/7 International Virtual Learning Environment’ in Minecraft, Victoria’s first CoderDojo, Australia’s first Immersive Education Club (iED Club), the World’s youngest Cisco class, and the very first ‘School on the Blockchain.”
This is Stemiverse Podcast episode 25.
Stemiverse podcast is brought to you by Tech Explorations, a leading provider of educational resources for Makers, STEM students, and teachers. Go to techexplorations.com to see a complete list of our books and courses covering the Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and electronics.
- [00:00] Introduction – Introducing Kieran Nolan
- [01:56] Kieran Nolan talks about his background
- [05:42] The School in the Cloud
- [07:05] What is Blockchain?
- [09:11] What a Torrent file is
- [10:57] Proof of Existence and Proof of Work
- [12:26] Beyond Bitcoin, implementing Blockchain for anything that needs proof that has been decentralized and distributed
- [13:16] Application examples of the Blockchain
- [16:09] What does it mean that Blockchain is “transparent”?
- [17:02] Real-time data about Bitcoin
- [18:22] How does Blockchain scale?
- [21:19] How long does a Bitcoin transaction take to complete?
- [22:13] Physical places that accept Bitcoin for payment
- [23:38] What is the best coin currency to invest in, if you want to buy an education for your children? Cryptocurrencies – STORJ
- [28:06] Blockchain changes whole industries and can be applied in governments
- [28:45] How understanding Blockchain technology helps achieve educational outcomes for students
- [32:57] Social aspects of Blockchain and teaching advanced concepts to young kids
- [36:52] How does voting work in Bitcoin?
- [38:11] Transparent but anonymous voting
- [39:17] MiVote: Grassroots democracy movement based on Blockchain, transparent and reliable
- [41:31] Where can a teacher interested in Blockchain education look for information and guidance? At the Blockchain Centre in Melbourne and online on Blockchain Education
- [44:09] Technology’s momentum
- [44:43] Minecraft classes:http://minecraft.woorannaparkps.vic.edu.au/
- [46:25] How does it all connect to the curricula?
- [47:16] Enhanced human talents
- [48:18] What Ethereum technology is
- [51:07] CoinLaunch Market
- [52:54] Additional applications of Blockchain: Vaccination
- [54:58] Kieran’s Contact Information: School Website: Woorana Park Primary School, Personal Website: http://www.kdnolan.com/
- [56:08] https://goo.gl/photos/sP5auVwbjn6sYeNGA
- [56:27] Kieran will be presenting at EduTECH 2018:https://au.educationhq.com/events/40298/edutech-2018/